Read the handouts you were given in class and do the following research assignment.
Famous people of 1900-1909
*Obviously, these people lived longer than that, and most continued to do their work throughout many decades. However, I need to group them, so here are the people we will be talking about in class from this first decade of the 20th Century.
You are to pick one to research. You will share with the class what you learned, and should be prepared to answer questions. I’ve put a little note next to them to help you with choosing.
- William McKinley – President in 1900, he was assassinated
- Queen Liliuokalani – The last Queen of Hawaii who tried to save her country from the US
- Theodore Roosevelt – President, trust-buster, conservationist, war hero…among other things
- Ghandi – A spiritual leader who many consider to be the Father of India.
- Booker T. Washington – A former slave, who worked hard to improve the life of blacks.
- W.E.B. DuBois – Another black leader who worked to make higher education accessible to blacks.
- Carry Nation – A woman who took the fight against immorality to new levels.
- Alfred Bernard Nobel – Nobel Peace Prize
- Helen Keller – Overcoming blindness and deafness to change the world for the handicapped
- The Wright Brothers – First flights
- Albert Einstein – Scientist
- Sigmund Freud – Psychologist
- Rudyard Kipling – Author
- Pablo Picasso – Artist
- Mary Cassatt – Artist
- Henry Ford – Industrialist
- Guglielmo Marconi – inventer of the ‘wireless’
- Andrew Carnegie – Philanthropist
- Robert Peary and Matthew Henson – First to reach the North Pole.